Monday, December 15, 2008

Kid Charlemagne

For those of you curious to hear the demo I played for Tyler, here it is.  It's mostly me experimenting with the LFO (with Osc. 2 and Wave as the destination), and playing around with the arpeggiator.  The patch is the first one I've made on this machine, and I named it "Nautilus."  Expect to hear some of these sounds in the game.

Last weekend I had the opportunity to check out a new trading card game and I suggest that you do too -  it's called PK Cards and it's designed & printed right here in Mentor, Ohio.  It's like Magic: The Gathering minus the suck.  All of the characters come from different cultural mythology, and they do battle against each other to allow your avatar in the game to gain prestige.  This can be a lot of fun because you can finally prove that Merlin can indeed kick Quetzal's ass and that the Aztecs were a bunch of pussies.  The game is really well balanced and easy to pick up but can be very complicated.  Its depth and variety, however, should ensure great longevity, and mean that the game doesn't have to be re-invented every expansion.  The core decks come really well built and competetive right out of the box.  I played three games (two against my co-worker Pete and one against my girlfriend Lum) and won two of them.  Each pack or core deck also contains a Gold Key, which you can enter online to buy MP3 players, Playstation 3s, and more cards.  

Today I had the chance to tour the PK offices and see where the cards are printed - believe me, you haven't lived until you've seen sheet upon sheet of exotic uncut foil cards just sitting on a wooden pallet.  I also got to meet Yoshinori Ikehara, one of the artists responsible for bringing some of PK's legendary badasses to life.  He even signed a Mantis for me and a Lung for Lum.  If you're not doing anything the ninth of January, come out to Hobbytown USA in Mentor for a demonstration tournament.  As the date approaches I'll get more information posted.  I expect to see all of you there (this means you Tyler).

1 comment:

Tyler said...

Ahaha PK Cards. Yeah we got some of those when I went to Pandora's box with a friend. I gave them to him because I was never much of a card game person, they just never struck me really. Even so it'd be nice to hang out at Hobbytown for a bit. Always fun to be there.